Saturday 9 April 2011

Fizzy Lemon And Cola Tart

Earlier in my blog I mentioned this tart, and I have seen people searching for the recipe on here I thought I should FINALLY put it up. It's a Gizzi Erskine recipe (who I love!) and she showcased it in Company magazine. As soon as I saw it I knew it was something special so I ripped it out and it lives in my recipe book, safe and sound.

This picture shown is one I did before I invested in a mini kitchen blow-torch, so it does actually look a bit more creme brulee when you torch the sugar. Foolishly however I didn't take a picture when it looked all golden and beautiful! You'll be happy to know my pastry cutting is much cleaner also, but hey - I'm human!

Ingredients:
225g plain flour, sifted
pinch of salt
150g butter
1 free range egg yolk
3 tbsp cola
1/2 tsp cola essence (only if you can find it, just helps with the extra flavour - got mine on eBay!)
5 unwaxed lemons, juiced, with the zest of 3 of them
6 free range eggs, 2 whole, 4 yolks
200g caster sugar
200ml double cream
icing sugar, for decorating
1 packets cola flavour popping candy

1.In a food processor, mix the flour, salt and butter until it resembles bread crumbs - I don't have one so I just used my finger tips.
2. Add the egg yolk and cola to form a ball of dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk in the sugar until combined. Whisk in the cream, lemon juice and zest, then set aside.
4. Place a 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin (I just used a porceline one with no loose bottom) on a baking sheet.
5. On a surface dusted with icing sugar, roll out pastry. Life onto the rolling pin then drape over tin, leaving the excess hanging off (I just off the excess, was just easier and looked neater sooner). PRess the pastry into the sides of the tin and put in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
6. Remove tin and line with grease proof paper and baking beans, then bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans and bake for 5-10 minutes until golden. Lower oven to 140 degree.
7. Pour the filling into the pie and bake for 35-40 minutes or until almost set.
8. Leave to cool, then sprinkle with icing sugar. Blow-torch the top until golden and leave ot set for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with popping candy and serve.
9. Nom! Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds great - I love playful desserts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love it too, so unusual but actually tasted nice too, very zingy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant! I remember seeing the recipe in a magazine and couldn't find it anywhere, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no problem! I had someone asking for it before and kept meaning to put it up, everyone should try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment,
I love to hear your feedback! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...