Monday 30 May 2011

Lemon and Lavender Drizzle Cupcakes

One of the loveliest cakes I have ever made myself is the lemon drizzle cake, which I will put up when I have a reason to make an other one, hopefully soon! And I really wanted to use lavender in a recipe ever seeing lavender and honey ice cream on It's Complicated.

So I thought I would combine the two of these into cupcakes to give it a bit of a twist. It's a bank holiday so I had hoped for some sunshine today as it always makes baking a bit more special, but rain it was so I had to make sure they were good to make up for it! I even got the lavender flowers from my own plant..which I called Leonard! (sigh)

Ingredients
  • 100g butter
  • 100g fine caster sugar
  • 2 free range eggs
  • 100g flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • rind of 1/2 lemon, finely grated
  • 1tsp lavender flowers
Drizzle
  • 100ml water
  • 75g fine caster sugar
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp lavender flowers
  • Lilac food colouring
Lilac icing
  • 100g icing sugar
  • water
  • lilac food colouring
  • lavender flowes
  1. Beat sugar, butter, lemon rind and lavender together until light and creamy.
  2. Beat in an egg and sift half of the flour, mix well and repeat with the remaining ingredients and add the baking powder.
  3. Whisk until well combined.
  4. Put into a preheated oven (180 degrees)
  5. Cook for 12-15 minutes until golden
  6. Mean while make the syrup, bring sugar and water to the boil and up to 140 degrees, use a sugar thermometer to measure this. 
  7. Add the lemon and lavender and boil for 10 minutes, add the coluring.
  8. When the cakes are ready to take out, immediately slather the syrup on the cakes, the lilac coloured syrup will seep down into the cake and give it a great blob of colour.
  9. Make up the icing by adding teaspoons of water until thick and glossy but still a bit runny.
  10. Add the food colouring and spread on the cupcakes, sprinkle some of the lavender flowers on the icing and eat, NOM!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment,
I love to hear your feedback! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...