Thursday 17 May 2012

Baking Buys

Another Baking Buys post, I can't seem to stop shopping at the moment, not healthy for the bank balance...I just can't help myself. Some of these were bought a little while ago and kept for this post that you will have seen me use in past posts.

On one of my last trips I managed to pick up some red,white and blue sprinkles, red writing jelly (these use this a lot on their iced cakes), cake flags and also some tutti fruitti flavouring, it's a tiny bottle but it's super concentrated so a little goes a long way :) You'll see these feature in my next post so keep a look out.



The first of which are my Norway purchases, these were actually bought a while ago but I've only used them recently which reminded me that I actually had them! Today is actually Norway's independence day, I really wish I could have been there but instead I had the day off. Normally we do something fun like going to a theme park but there's been so much going on it didn't feel right this year so we had a nice day at home with a bit of shopping, eating and baking. Which is why I bought some of the following bits you'll see in a moment. Norway love their baking - LOVE IT! I love trawling their baking aisles in the shops as they stock so many great products we just don't get that would be so useful.



Last Week I had ANOTHER shopping trip, I couldn't resist popping into TK MAXX where I picked up this cupcake cutter, I've been wanting one for ages and this one was perfect. I also picked up a plain icing rolling pin which I forgot to take a picture of before I covered it in icing sugar, it's great for fondant and gumpaste work. Which bring me to my trip to HobbyCraft, there I bought two boxes of gum paste mix, I never bought ready rolled until my mum pointed out the price difference, £5.99 for the mix, £12.99 for the ready to roll stuff. As I was buying it for my brother's wedding cake, not knowing how much the mix made I bought two, but after mixing it (in fear) I discovered one mix made up 500g of gum paste - exactly the same as the ready made but less than half price! Love it.


 My next hit was Tesco and the garden center. I love the new products the garden center is stocking, I couldn't resist the patterned rolling pin, set of girly cookie cutters, apple blossom plungers and the cute polkadot petit fours cases. The range is so reasonable the rolling pin was only £6.99 - bargain!

 My next hit was Tesco, it's not that exciting for most but I found the blue table cover in the picture above, actually I got the cupcake one there too! I also found the Jubilee golden syrup tin, I think this would love lovely in my baking room when it's empty to hold some of my various tools, and a nice keepsake :)

Finally I hit my town to pick up something to help me make my cake pops more rounded, I found this Joseph Joseph measuring spoon, I have tried it out and while it doesn't make them perfect it definitely helps. In another little shop I found these star cookies cutters for making a star tree, I know it's stupidy early.... but I thought these would come in handy for Christmas, or do you think I could use them at other times?


Now I did do a big order from Sew White, a lovely website my work friend told me about, but I've already tried some of the products out so I think they need a post all to themselves :)

Nom!


















Pin It Now!

13 comments:

  1. Love TKMaxx - we have a massive branch of Home Sense (their shops which are just housewares) near us. My bank balance always takes a battering there - particularly as they seem to be stocking more and more cakey stuff. I managed to pick up a few different cookie cutters last time I went, along with some flower cutter/veined sets, and you can get some great baking books, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE TK MAXX, it's so good I could spend hundred in their, lovely cake stands!

      Delete
  2. I'm always envious when I read your baking buys post. I really need to get myself to a TKMaxx or hobbycraft!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a lot of shopping :) I love the little handbag cookie cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that magnetic measuring spoon (in red!) and it's the most useful thing - I leave it stuck to the side of the microwave and it's always close to hand when I need it

    I love your shopping posts - I'm trying to resist buying at the moment so get vicarious pleasure at what you've bought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was magnetic....!! I need to stop spending thought!

      Delete
  5. There's only one thing better than baking shopping trips and that's baking shopping trips with stuff from abroad! Back in the UK I've been hearing great things about TK Maxx and must make sure I take a detour to visit my nearest one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bought that make it yourself gum paste. I found it sooooo fiddly to make that I've decided not to bother with it again. I have however invested in a new product which was suggested to me by one of my fav cake decorators. It's called mexican molding paste. It dries solid and isn't sticky so is easy to work with (it is also great for my cricut cake! Possibly THE best invention to come to the baking world!!!) It cost £4.95 for 200g and I got a free gift with it. That's ended now though. They did free postage as well but thats now changed again (boo!) Think it must've been newly opened or something. Anyway back to the original reason for this post. Theres also something called sugar flower paste (I think I remember it in a previous blog) that's only £4.25.
    Sorry I'm just waffling now lolz I'll leave you

    ooo the website if you wanna check it out is www.cakecrafting.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing the gumpaste and is brilliant I love it! such good value too feels just like fondant and you get 500g from it too I can't be swayed to another product :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah I was swayed after I used it lolz. I hated the hassle I had to go through to make. I'd rather pay the same amount for ready made x

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment,
I love to hear your feedback! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...